Friday, 2 October 2015

Tiling the roof: Part 1

How has it been nearly 10 months since I last posted!? I even took pictures of work I did a while ago but never got around to posting about it...

I've had a pretty busy year so far! Managed to fulfil one of my life long dreams of seeing The Who live in March, have managed 2 holidays; a surprise trip to Bruges for my partner's 30th and a Summer holiday to the Amalfi Coast in Italy where, said partner proposed! So the past few weeks have been busy collecting ideas and dates etc. on when we can get married!

The other day though, I finally managed to do some tiling on my roof.
I'd received some dormer windows as a present a while ago and thought I'd start by tiling them first. Please excuse the awful photos...

They started like this, with lollypop stick roof tiles. (I'd already coated the outside of the windows with brick compound.)

So, I took the lollypop tiles off and collected my tools together: 

I needed a craft mat, a ruler, glue, sand paper, a pen/pencil and pliers. 

The tiles I used were from Minaco, who produced just about the only realistic, separate tiles I could find, that weren't real slate and therefore, didn't cost loads! 
These tiles are made from moulded plaster and, in my case, were coloured 'slate grey, whether.' 

I got 2 packs, which should be enough to cover my roof… I hope! 

I started with the bottom layer and, as the roof is cut at an angle, had to also cut the last tile on the row at an angle too. This is where the craft knife etc came in. I laid the tile onto the roof and marked where the edge of the roof was on the tile, so it could be cut.
I then scored the tile with the craft knife, using the ruler to ensure it was straight, and after a few scores, carefully broke the corner off using the pliers. This seemed very successful and after breaking the corner off, just sanded it down slightly to make the edge smoother. 

This is a dormer window with one side finished. There is a gap at the apex of the roof, where I will have to get some specially shaped tiles to fit over the top. 

I moved onto my main roof a few months later.
This is what the front of the roof looked like before, with most of the tiles taken off and the old dormer windows still attached.

Once all the tiles (from the back of the roof) has been taken off and the glue removed with the wood sanded a little:

Using the same method, I started with the bottom line of tiles.

 After 4 rows of tiles: For every other row, Minaco provides tiles that are slightly bigger than the standard size so that you get the off-centred look of overlapping tiles. See the 2nd row up. This also means that every other row also needs a tile scored at cut to fit the width of the roof.

I'm quite pleased with it so far! I'm looking forward to it all being tiled; then it'll start looking like a real house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment